The Devil Wears Prada
Created by: Lauren Weisberger (novel)
Directed by: David Frankel
Written by: Aline Brosh McKenna
Produced by: Wendy Finerman
Cast Members: Meryl Streep, Anne Hathaway, Stanley Tucci, Simon Baker, Adrian Grenier
Released date: June 30, 2006
Genre: Comedy, Drama
Duration: 109 minutes
Andy is a recent college graduate with big dreams. Upon landing a job at prestigious Runway magazine, she finds herself the assistant to diabolical editor Miranda Priestly. Andy questions her ability to survive her grim tour as Miranda's whipping girl without getting scorched.
→ Hell On Heels.
→ Meet Andy Sachs. A million girls would kill to have her job. She’s not one of them.
→ High fashion, low cunning – and the boss from hell.
⋄ The character of Emily, played by Emily Blunt, was not supposed to be English in the script. Blunt thought it would be interesting and sound a bit more imperious. In several scenes, she is seen running about in the background, though never written nor directed. She felt her character would always be busy, and wanted to keep her alive in the film. Notably, most of her wardrobe is from Vivienne Westwood.
⋄ Emily Blunt has stated that she stole a snarky line of dialogue that she heard coming from a mother yelling at her child on the street. That line was, “Yeah, I’m hearing ‘this’ (talking), and I want to hear, ‘this’ (silence).” It was accompanied by the hand-talking gestures that Blunt also mimicked in the scene.
• It’s for Paris, I’m on this new diet. Well, I don’t eat anything and when I feel like I’m about to faint I eat a cube of cheese. I’m just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.
• When I am not here… Andrea, you are chained to that desk!
• One time an assistant left the desk. Oh, because she sliced her hand open with a letter opener, and Miranda missed Lagerfeld just before he was about to board a 17 hour flight to Austrailia. She now works at TV Guide.
• You went upstairs? You went upstairs. Oh my God. Why didn’t you just crawl into bed with her and ask for a bedtime story?
• I don’t care if she was going to fire you or beat you with a red hot poker, you should’ve said no.
• You don’t deserve them, I mean you eat carbs, for Chrissake!
• A million girls would kill for this job.
• You have some very large shoes to fill. I hope you know that.