The Young Victoria
Character: Queen Victoria
Directed by: Jean-Marc Vallée
Written by: Julian Fellowes
Produced by: Sarah Ferguson, Tim Headington, Graham King, Martin Scorsese
Cast Members: Rupert Friend, Paul Bettany, Miranda Richardson, Jim Broadbent, Thomas Kretschmann
Released date: January 8, 2010
Genre: Biography, Drama
Duration: 105 minutes
A dramatization of the turbulent first years of Queen Victoria's rule, and her enduring romance with Prince Albert.
→ Love rules all
→ Her country. Her heart. Her majesty.
→ She was the queen of an empire, but her heart belonged to one man.
⋄ Emily Blunt’s first lead role.
• Some people are born more fortunate than others. Such was the case with me. But as a child I was convinced of quite the opposite. What little girl does not dream of growing up as a princess? But some palaces are not at all what you would think. Even a palace can be a prison. Mama never explained why she would have someone taste my food, why I couldn’t attend school with other children or read popular books. When my father died, Mama and her advisor, Sir John Conroy, created rules. He said they were for my protection, and he called it The Kensington System. I could not sleep in a room without Mama, or even walk downstairs without holding the hand of an adult. I learned the reason for all this when I was eleven: my Uncle William was the King of England, yet he and his three brothers could boast only one living child. And that was me. Sir John’s dream was that the King would die and there would be a regency where my mother would rule England and he would rule my mother. So I began to dream of the day when my life would change and I might be free. And I prayed for the strength to meet my destiny.
• Do you ever feel like a chess piece yourself? In a game being played against your will.
• I’m so pleased you like it. I do want you to feel quite at home… I’m sure you’re aware why I wished you to come here. Because it would make me happier than anything, too happy really, if you would agree to what I wish.
• Oh, and if you think that I will ever forget that you stood by silent and watched him treat me thus, you are dreaming!
• I will not have my role usurped! I wear the crown! And if there are mistakes they will be my mistakes, and no one else will make them! No one, not even you!
• You will go when I dismiss you. I am your queen, and I am telling you to stay!
• I do want to help them, whatever you say. And not just the laboring poor, but the hungry and the homeless, and… There are people who are lost, and whose business is it to see to their welfare?